Monday, November 11, 2013

Cleaving unto God

“Cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you.” I read that today in Jacob 6:5. Imagining the Lord cleaving unto me is a humbling image. This week I have truly seen how He is always desiring to hold us as close to Him as possible. No one likes heartbreak, so why does the Lord allow us to go through it? A friend helped me realized that there is so much we don’t understand, but Heavenly Father is always closer than we think. He would never guide us in a way that wasn’t for our better good. With my heart break, I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to get through this week. I have no family here and my best friends are only as close as my laptop and cell phone. I told Heavenly Father I would need Him to be with me more than ever. He did not let me down. I have been amazed this week with how much He has done to ease my pain and help me gain clarity.

As hard as it is to not see your prayers work out as you’d like, do not let it discourage you. Cleave unto the Lord as he cleaveth unto you. As I kept my focus on God, I was amazed at what a great week I had. In some ways, I’m grateful for this setback because it has helped me see all the many blessings and great friends I do have. In Relief Society today we talked all about the value of serving others. The Lord says that it is usually through others that He answers our prayers. I’ve seen that so much as I have the opportunity to help God by loving others, but this week I have seen how much the Lord really loves me by the many people that have done seemingly small things for me.

Monday I came home a wreck; I was so saddened by how my prayers weren’t being answered. When I got home I found a package waiting for me. One of my dear friends had this package ready for me for awhile, and finally got it sent. I know it’s no coincidence she sent it on that day. God loves me and knew what a gift from heaven it would be to me that day. Not only did that friend love me, but she was an instrument in the Lord showing me His love. The ladies at work have been so wonderful to me and so have the friends I have made here. I don’t think I realized how many loved ones I had made here until I saw them come to me and support me without my asking for it.

Although maybe what I prayed for didn’t happen, I know the Lord will only help me obtain the best. Remember, the Lord doesn’t give stones, He only gives bread. God has kept me busy and I have done so many fun things that I hadn’t done in awhile it seems. Some of my friends joke that French got between us. We talk about things like “Before French Test” and “After French Test” and all in between was like this dark abyss of my life where I didn’t go out. It feels so good to be done! I am still anxious to receive my scores, but if anything I’ve learned I can do hard things. I needed to get my portfolio done and I had so much I needed to do since I put it aside to study French, but it was a breeze compared to relearning French in a couple months.

BYU Idaho comes to observe me Wednesday, so this is the big day! I’m not worried though, God is cleaving unto me and as long as I keep cleaving onto him, everything will be the very best it can be. Sometimes things don’t happen as we visualize, and that’s okay. Sometimes that visual was just meant to get us to an even better one. Just because your dream changes doesn’t mean it was wrong. It was right then. You just have to keep listening, taking one step at a time into the light. I really like the newest Mormon Message by Elder Holland, “Wrong Roads.” Sometimes taking a “wrong road” for a little while is the fastest way for the Lord to show us the right way. Trust in the Lord and don’t ever forget that he is cleaving unto you. We are His work and glory and everything He does is designed to bring us eternal happiness. Who knows where life will take us, but follow the spirit and you’ll end up in the celestial kingdom with your Heavenly Father and Savior. “If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived” (Holland).


Link for Elder Holland's message and then I just super loved this picture.

Sometimes I still feel like that little girl in His arms... He loves us SO much, if you doubt it, stop, just believe because I KNOW it's true and so do millions of others. I try to listen to a couple conference talks a day, just while I'm lolly gagging around and I promise that just hearing the prophets and apostles confidence in their testimonies of Christ will help give you your confidence and faith. They're calling is to witness of the reality of Christ and of His restored church. Open your heart and let the love of God flow in. I listened to this one by Elder Maxwell, it's a little older, but it hit me really hard. You and I are more loved than we can possibly comprehend.


No comments:

Post a Comment