Sunday, August 4, 2013

A God of Miracles

I heard a girl in church today say in her testimony, “When we put God
first, He does provide a way for us.” When I heard that, everything in my head fit together. I’m sure no one can believe that I would be feeling overwhelmed after all the change that’s been going on. I can hardly even believe how life has changed and all that has happened in the last 2 weeks, but it has and that I can’t argue with. All I’ve been able to do is just keep believing that if I’m putting God first then everything will work out. Back in like April I was facing the decision to stay with the plan I’d had to student teach, or to put it off for awhile and take a break when I got home. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I asked for a blessing. In it I wasn’t told exactly what to do, but I was told that if I just serve the Lord that everything will work out. I decided to just trust in that. I kept the original plan and it seemed that things were working out. I know my mother went through a lot to make everything work, for which I am so grateful, but nevertheless the Lord has seen fit that, once again, I am taken care of. I know that all that has taken place is nothing short of a miracle, but only because I put it all in the Lord’s hand.
I’m so grateful for the reprieve I was able to receive for the last 2 weeks before starting my student teaching. Those couple of weeks are days I will cherish forever. Since coming to Mesa, I have seen how the Lord has truly been taking care of me, not because I am more special than anyone else, but I know it’s because I have sought his will and done his will and he has not, and will not, fail me. Everything’s happened so fast that it wasn’t until today when I was sitting in sacrament meeting, my first time back in a YSA ward, that I realized what a big risk I had taken in coming here and how if it wasn’t for the Lord, it would not have worked out. The people I am living with are like angels from heaven. They are so kind and treat me like their daughter. When I got home Mom and I were trying to figure out which of the many living options I had that I should take. She had called the Bishop of the area around my high school and asked if he knew of any one that could take me in. I met him last night and he said that he was surprised he was able to find something that worked, that it was a miracle. I learned today that the name of the street I live on, Milagro, means miracle. I thought that was just perfect. My life really has been a miracle. None of this could have worked out if it wasn’t for my trusting in the Lord and putting him first and him providing.
Many of you have probably seen the Mormon Message called “Courage.” It’s about Queen Esther. Well, I said this last time, but I feel like saying it again. One of the woman says of her experience in trusting the Lord and taking a leap of faith to quit her job, not sure how things would turn out, but knowing she had to stick to her standards that, “We don’t know what the Lord is trying to teach us, but if I really trust Heavenly Father it really doesn’t matter what we don’t understand.”
I’ve never known why the Lord wanted me to come to Mesa, but I’ve always known it was where I needed to go. My mentor teacher is so kind and I’m so excited to work with him. The faculty at the school is incredible.  The people I hung out with over the weekend were so fun and kind. I have learned that the students here are way low in their writing scores, so our goal as teachers is to come up with ways on how we can improve that. I am so excited because I love writing! I want these kids to know that if you can think, then you can write. I’m thrilled to be here and hope with all my heart I can make a difference for these kids.  
God is real. He is there to guide us. His constancy is something on which we can rely. If you’re following him, you have no need o fear, everything will always work out and your life will be a living miracle.
“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths for good” (Prov 3:5-6).
Just like the Liahona that I talked about last week, which worked to lead the way only according to their obedience and faith, so shall our lives be guided and full of miracles as we obey the Lord without always having to know why.
“And it did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe that God could cause that those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done; therefore they had this miracle, and also many other miracles wrought by the power of God, day by day” (Alma 37:40).
Everything in the gospel always comes back to the very first principle--faith. Missionaries are taught to act with faith . Often they are "led by the spirit not knowing beforehand the things that they should do" (1 Nephi 4:6). I don't know about you, but I feel like that is how my life's always been. Not knowing why, sometimes being a little scared, but then my faith comes in brighter and somehow conquers the fear and as I act, everything is always okay. It's funny how only not being set apart as a missionary for a week how much harder it seems to share the gospel. I'm still used to trying to talk to everyone, but it seems like I can't always bring up the gospel. Then afterwards I'll be like, "I should have said...." I was talking with a friend about that and I realized that is why it's so important that we study scriptures daily, pray constantly, and listen to the spirit always. Already I have seen the affect of how media and the world can affect me spiritually. I miss the missionary lifestyle, the sanctification of that life. I'm sick of not uplifting music, degrading conversation, or pointless use of time. I know there's a balance and I'm working to find it, since the YSA's have activities planned everyday, I know fun is something God wants us to have, but not the way the world thinks. I realize now though just what we as missionaries are asking the members to do. Sharing the gospel is not easy. For missionaries, God steps in major to assist them. But, I know that can happen for anyone, if we put our trust in the Lord, He will lead us and we will feel at peace every night with our offering to him that day. My goal is to share the gospel with at least 5 people this week. That seems like nothing compared to what we did as missionaries, but considering the amount of people I've shared it with so far, that's a pretty good goal. Just imagine though if every member shared the gospel with just 5 people a week? That's a beautiful picture. It all comes down to faith. Trust in God and let miracles happen in your life, day by day.


Josette and Glen Hakes with me. They are amazing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you when you were home! I lived in Mesa until I was 15. It is an awesome place. At what high school are you doing your student teaching? I went to Mountain View.

    Keep up the good blog posts! (you might consider adding a space between paragraphs) I love that I can still read about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at Dobson High. I didn't know you lived here! That is so cool! And thanks for the tip on paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete