Sunday, August 11, 2013

Be Still My Soul

I love that feeling you get when you know you are doing what the Lord wants you to do. It’s been hard to find myself again these last few weeks, but this week I really found myself again. The first day of teaching I felt happier beyond description. It’s been quite the journey for me to figure out what God wants me to do. I’m sure everyone has wondered at some point if the path they are on is really what the Lord wants for them, even though you may only be there because at some point you thought you were listening to God. I remember when I first switched my major to teaching and the huge leap of faith that was, but how I knew that was what He wanted me to do. Yet there are times when I forget that and I wonder “what am I doing?” I had a few of those the last couple of weeks, but the assurance from the spirit was stronger than the doubts from the adversary. Walking down the halls on Wednesday, my first day of teaching, I felt a sense of peace wash over me like I had been praying for.  For you RM’s you know the first while home are not easy. Wednesday was the first day I didn’t cry since coming home from my mission. It was like all of a sudden eveything felt right again. Every time I feel the spirit guide me, I hear in my mind "Be still my soul" and it came on my first day teaching. In a high school hall I could feel the Lord tell me I was where I needed to be.

I read something from Boyd K. Packer that stuck with me. Life is great, but the last couple of weeks have been the greatest in many ways, but also the hardest I’ve ever experienced. He said:

“Teach our members that if they have a good, miserable day once in a while, or several in a row, to stand steady and face them. Things will straighten out. There is great purpose in our struggle in life. There is great meaning in these words entitled ‘The Lesson’

Yes, my fretting,
Frowning child,
I could cross
The room to you
More easily.
But I’ve already
Learned to walk,
So I make you
Come to me.
Let go now
There!
You see?
Oh, remember
This simple lesson,
Child,
And when
In later years
You cry out
With tight fists
And tears
“Oh, help me,
God—please.”
Just listen
And you’ll hear
A silent voice:
“I would, child,
I would.
But it’s you,
Not I,
Who needs to try
Godhood.”

I love that so much. If you have time you should watch the mormon message about the currant bush. A lady in Joseph City showed it to us today and I think it applies.
http://www.mormonchannel.org/mormon-channel-daily/213?v=1839005837001

I wish I could tell you all about my amazing week. I was able to go back to Joseph City and it was so rejuvenating. I love that little town. It feels like home to me and everyone there is like my family. I’d like to close this though with my testimony of the scriptures and the power of comfort they bring. Every time I read I feel all better.
“Remember that soothing, calming effect of reading the scriptures. Next time you are where they are read, notice how things settle down. Sense the feeling of peace and security that comes.”

God is real. He is our Father. And with faith we can do all things. Trust in Him and give up everything to Him. I promise He will always fulfill and leave you richer and happier than anything else.


My new name tag... Not quite the same, but I hope I can make a difference all the same. I still got Christ's written on my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment