Sunday, September 15, 2013

Jesus Take the Wheel

How many of you wish that God would just tell you what you are supposed to do already so you don’t have to try and figure it out anymore? I feel like just waving a white flag around and saying “I give up. Just tell me what I am supposed to do and I’ll do it.” A “Jesus take the wheel” kind of thing. I know my life’s really not that hard; I just taught in Gospel Doctrine all about the trials and faith of the early saints.

I hope that no one loses faith in me as a strong undoubting woman. Really, I have no doubts, I just am human and in moments of weakness I sometimes wish it would be easier. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to wish for some other way, even the Savior felt that “Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done” (Luke 22:42). That is the point that all humans must needs get to, (Mosiah 3:19).

Today in church we talked a lot about the trials that come and why. The parable of the currant bush was brought up. I’m putting up the link for the mormon message because it is so good. Heavenly Father is the gardener and He loves his creations. He would never give us something painful if it were not for a greater purpose. We may not always know what we will be after the trial, but God does know. That is why I have no doubts. His promises are sure. I know that not only because I have seen it, but I have felt it. This was a quote in the Gospel Doctrine manual that struck me. It’s from Elder M. Russell Ballard.

“Life isn’t always easy. At some point in our journey we may feel much as the pioneers did as they crossed Iowa—up to our knees in mud, forced to bury some of our dreams along the way. We all face rocky ridges, with the wind in our face and winter coming on too soon. Sometimes it seems as though there is no end to the dust that stings our eyes and clouds our vision. Sharp edges of despair and discouragement jut out of the terrain to slow our passage. … Occasionally we reach the top of one summit in life, as the pioneers did, only to see more mountain peaks ahead, higher and more challenging than the one we have just traversed. Tapping unseen reservoirs of faith and endurance, we, as did our forebears, inch ever forward toward that day when our voices can join with those of all pioneers who have endured in faith, singing, ‘All is well! All is well!’ ” 

One night I was grading papers, I do that every night, but this particular night I was reading some papers that really shook me. These are only 16 and 17 year olds and they have faced trials I could never imagine experiencing. It got me wondering why God would do that. I decided to google, “is God there?” Of course Mormon.org showed up first. So then I googled “why am I here?” Again, mormon.org was the first one up. In reading what the church said in regards to these questions, I realized again that God does love me; He loves all of us. I don’t understand why some things happen or don’t happen, but I know the Lord loves us more than we can even imagine. Joseph Smith said “Sometimes the Lord brings us lower, so He can lift us higher.” I know that’s true.  Trust in Him. Know that He is in all things and He does it all for you.  I hope one day I can return to His presence and see things as He does and realize just how much He really did love me. Till then, I will just trust.

This is the link for the currant bush mormon message. 



If you want a good talk about submitting to the Lord, read "The Will of the Father in All Things" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.


or, "Willing to Submit" by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment