Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Sun Rises on All

It’s a little sad to me that this life is beginning to feel more normal, but then I think how wonderful it is that I was able to be taken out of life for a second to learn how to really live and to come back and live life right. Then it becomes a joy that this new life is feeling more normal. My mission really was just a blue print for the rest of my life. I look at the life I had before my mission and look at what it’s becoming now, and I am humbled once again by the evidence that my mission was a grand gift to change my life forever, to be a more profitable servant of the Lord. I’m sure I was a decent person before, but I didn’t really understand why I did all things in the church I was asked to do.

It’s like after sitting in a math class and not really understanding why you are using a certain formula, but you trust your teacher that it will work, then after doing it enough and studying it and trying to understand the why, it finally clicks and everything else about it begins to make sense. That’s how I feel entering back into this life. I don’t just go to the temple because I trust it will be good, I understand that the temple makes things last forever. I don’t just believe, I know. I don’t just study my scriptures because it’s a good idea, but because my day is empty without it. I don’t just pray because people say you need to, but because I’m close to my Heavenly Father and I want to have communication with Him constantly. I don’t just go to FHE (family home evening) and other church activities because it’s a good thing to do and it’s part of my calling. I go because “where two or more are gathered in my name… there will I be in the midst of them” (D&C 6:32). Why would we not seek out for the opportunities to be surrounded by those who have the same love for God that his love may be felt in greater magnitude?

At FHE this week there was a girl there who isn’t a member of the church. The missionaries introduced me to her and I spent the whole evening with her. Now here’s the thing, anyone could’ve been that friend for her, but because I went to FHE, I was blessed to gain another friend and to be a friend. The Lord’s work will go forward and his love will abound. It is our privilege to be a part of that work. If you haven’t experienced seeing the Lord’s work done through your hands, I urge you to go and seek such an opportunity. There is nothing better in the world. I feel so blessed to be a teacher and to have the chance of bringing hope and love and joy to the lives of young men and women.

Earlier this week I was thinking about why some people have what seems to be so many hard trials and others seem to have none. Of course this is all perspective, but I learned a valuable lesson. God doesn’t love anyone any more or any less because of the amount of blessings they seem to have or not have. All things are for a reason and from an all loving Heavenly Father. A friend shared with me how every blessing we are given is a gift from God and is to be used to bless others. Therefore, no blessing is every really our own.

It’s so cliché, but I know everything happens for a reason.  I read “Saints for All Seasons” from the First Presidency message for the month by President Uchtdorf.

“The Savior taught that the sun rises “on the evil and on the good, and… rain [falls] on the just and on the unjust” (Matthew 5:45). Sometimes we cannot understand why difficult, even unfair, things happen in life. But as followers of Christ, we trust that if we search diligently. Pray always, and be believing, … all things shall work together for [our] good, if [we] walk uprightly” (D&C 90:24).

I know that’s true. If we live righteously all the promises from the Lord will be ours, all that the Father hath will be ours (D&C 84:38). His promises are sure and He will never leave us. Learn to see every aspect of your life as part of God's design to bring you happiness in the eternities. He loves you. He wants you to be happy. Trust Him. Let His love fill your soul and transform you. He is ALWAYS there.

Here's the link for President Uchtdorf's article.

No comments:

Post a Comment