Sunday, December 15, 2013

The love behind the gift

I’m a little sick, but I can’t skip out on writing a little bit. I had a pretty miraculous experience this week. Some of you may laugh when I tell you about the monumental faith builder I experienced this week.
Growing up, I never questioned that my Mom would feed us, clothe us, and provide the necessities of life. Those were things we knew just came with the job. How little I understood that all of that stemmed from love. It was the little things she did that I knew Mom must really love me.

I remember one day in like 2nd grade I came home from school and there was a new outfit on my bed with a note next to it saying “Thanks for making your bed everyday.” I can still see it in my head. There was a bright green shirt with shorts to match, with a Minnie mouse decal on the shirt. I was thrilled. I’ve always loved new clothes and it was extremely difficult for me to convince my mom to buy me clothes, so to see a new outfit on my bed proved that Mom must truly love me.

About a year later, I really wanted a Spice Girls Barbie doll. I begged Mom for it, but she said it wasn’t my birthday or Christmas, so I’d have to wait. I told her I’d do extra chores, so she let me. I dusted, I vacuumed, and I did extra dish duty. I finally had enough money to go get my doll. (I was going through my Tomboy phase and really wanted Sporty Spice.) When we got to the store they were all sold out, I was devastated, but not wanting my hard earned money to go to waste, I bought another Barbie doll. I bought Skipper at the beach. I loved her and was happy, but still longed for a Spice Girls Barbie doll. The time doing chores brought my birthday closer, and the first present I opened was a Sporty Spice Barbie doll! I knew then that my mom truly did love me.

Why is it not the everyday food, or clothes, or scripture reading, or games that proved to me my mother loved me? Because those things were expected I thought. It’s those little things that no one is expected to do, but they just do out of love that reinforce to us that their love is real.
I’ve been more down lately than normal, just letting myself worry about what will happen with my life after student teaching. I’d let myself take for granted the care that God has taken for me forever and overlooked the truth that He would continue to do so.

Just like the Minnie outfit and the Barbie doll nourished my faith in my mother’s love, this week Heavenly Father answered my prayer to find the jacket I really wanted. I know people may think that’s ridiculous to pray to Heavenly Father about a jacket, but I know He cares about all our desires more than we can imagine. I had been looking for a jacket that was more of an Arizona winter jacket and I found one I absolutely loved last weekend at New York & Company in Gilbert, but they didn’t have my size. I checked a few other ones in the area and no one had it. I even called the ones in Roseville, but to no avail. This jacket was originally $130, but was marked down to $60. I believe God and I are very close and I talk to Him about everything, so it only felt natural to tell Him about this jacket and how I thought it impossible that no other store could have this jacket. I went in to talk to Glenn after praying and he suggested the Chandler mall. That was like the closest store to our house and somehow I had missed that one. I called and the sweet lady informed me they did have it. Call it what you want, but I believe Heavenly Father wanted to remind me just how much He loved me. I could survive without that jacket, but Heavenly Father knew how important it was to me. I’ve worked hard at saving my money and I was using my birthday money to buy the jacket.
I know this is one of the silliest blogs yet, but I believe we overlook so many of the little things Heavenly Father gives us. He could give us everything if He wanted. He has that power. Instead of giving us everything right away, He allows us to work so that we can value what we receive.

If I hadn’t made my bed for so long, the reward of that outfit would have just been one of the many outfits already wrinkled in my drawer. I treasured that outfit until I well outgrew it. If I hadn’t done chores to earn my Barbie doll, it would have just been another one of the many Barbie dolls that have been lost in my memory. If I hadn’t had to search to find this coat, I never would’ve had this experience of faith in Heavenly Father’s true concern and involvement in every detail of our lives.

With the gift giving season upon us, remember it’s not the gift that matters, but the love behind the gift. As you give and as you receive, always pay attention to the love involved in the circle of giving and receiving. Our older brother didn't give His life simply because it was expected. He gave it because He loves us. I hope we all can come to know that more and more each day. Once we begin to understand that true love, we will begin to understand our purpose and potential.

Some you may have heard this story, but I just read it for the first time this week, the story of the fourth wise man by Henry Van Dyke. It’s not that long, so try and read it. Money has no eternal value, but the way you use it does. 
Here's a link for the article. The short version.

I’m so excited to be home in 6 days! I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas wherever you end up and that you spend your whole life similar to the fourth wise man. He’s not in a stable anymore. He is everywhere and “in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell” (Alma 34:36).






No comments:

Post a Comment